I would usually just use 4 squares and one stamp for this type of card (as the last photo), but I have taken it another step especially for this challenge.
You will need:
- White and black card
- 2" square punch or die-cut
- Small stamp(s) to fit within the square (outline stamps are best)
- 4 Dye-based inks (primary/secondary colours work well)
- Watercolour pencils to match the inks, plus a brush and water
- A blank card
- 3D foam squares/glue/double-sided sticky tape
- A sentiment that works well with the stamp (any type)
- Punch/die-cut squares from white card.
- Ink the squares in each different colour (one or two different stamps will be sufficient).
- Once all the squares are inked and dry, colour them with the watercolour pencils. Start with a rough border, then colour over the outline of the stamp and any details you'd like to pick out.
- Now take your brush and wash over each square completely with water. This will blend the colour across the white areas left behind. Allow to dry.
- Take your black card and arrange the squares so there is a little gap between each one. This makes the colours really stand out. Attach them however you like. (I have added extra dimension to this card by using 3D foam squares for the butterflies - photo 5a). Trim the black card to fit.
- Now attach the matted squares to your card and add an appropriate sentiment. This can be stamped or any method you choose.